Boys soccer: War Eagles get another crack at Highlanders
The Woodlands entertains Oak Ridge Tuesday in a District 14-5A boys soccer match.
On paper, this looks like a lopsided encounter with the two teams at opposite ends of the league standings. However, the first meeting between the two teams was anything but lopsided.
The Woodlands came away with a 1-0 victory and the War Eagles look to put the pressure on again Tuesday.
The Woodlands has but one remaining home match, Friday, March 18, with College Park. Oak Ridge hosts Lufkin on Friday, March 11, and then welcomes in Magnolia, Friday, March 18, for a non-district match. Both of those encounters begin at 6 p.m.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Oak Ridge War Eagles vs. The Woodlands Highlanders
• When: 7 p.m., Tuesday
• Where: Weldon Willig Field
• What's at stake: The Woodlands looks to keep pace with the top teams in the district; College Park and Kingwood. Oak Ridge is looking for a major boost and a victory Tuesday would do just that.
• Oak Ridge players to watch: G Erik Grace, M Martin Gonzalez, F Jose Mendoza.
• The Woodlands players to watch: F Santiago Navas, M Conner Mowery, G Cody Schlegel.
• Oak Ridge: The War Eagles had high hopes leading into district play. With a record of 3-3-1, Oak Ridge was hoping to become a factor in the playoff chase. But that optimism did not translate into victories in the first half of league play. ... The War Eagles did not post a victory through the first round. But the potential is there. ... Oak Ridge played both The Woodlands and Lufkin to one-goal matches. ... Martin Gonzalez and Jose Mendoza are among the leaders on offense, while Erik Grace minds the net.
• The Woodlands: The Highlanders head into the second half of district play in a dog fight with College Park and Kingwood for the top spot in the standings. The Woodlands and College Park totaled 15 points apiece at the midway point while Kingwood tallied 13 points, making for what looks to be one of the more memorable finishes. ... Santiago Navas and Conner Mowery are among the top players in the Highlanders attack. ... Thomas Adams is another. But Lucas Ordosgoitia, Elias Austgulen, Sean Werner and Andres Velasco are also among those who have scored goals this season while Cody Schlegel has been stellar in the net behind outstanding defensive play.
Local Advertising by PaperG