Girls basketball: Ranked team next for Oak Ridge
The Oak Ridge Lady War Eagles welcome in state-ranked and district newcomer Atascocita to the Eagles Nest Friday for a key 14-5A game. Both teams split its first two district games and the winner gets a leg up on the playoff race as the season resumes in full following the Holiday Break.
The game is the first in a back-to-back for Oak Ridge against state-ranked teams. After hosting No. 12 Atascocita, the Lady War Eagles travel to meet No. 24 The Woodlands on Friday in another big District 14-5A game.
Oak Ridge will definitely know where it stands following those two big games.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Atascocita Lady Eagles vs. Oak Ridge Lady War Eagles
• When: 7 p.m., Friday
• Where: Eagles Nest
• What's at stake: Oak Ridge has proven it can play with anyone in the district. Now the opportunity arises to prove it can play with anyone in the state.
• Atascocita players to watch: PG Curtyce Knox, F Chrishuana Parker, F Lauren Price.
• Oak Ridge players to watch: G Brandi Lawson, F Tatiana Jackson, G/F Jacquira Manning.
• Atascocita: The Lady Eagles rose all the way to No. 2 in the state early this season before falling to The Woodlands. Coming back from the Holiday Break, Atascocita was still ranked No. 12 in the state, winners in 18 of the first 21 games. ... The Lady Eagles are led by a trio of double-figure scorers. Curtyce Knox averaged 18.1 points per game through the first 21 games. Chrishuana Parker and Lauren Price averaged 10.3 and 10.1 points per game during that same span. The two also combined for 13.2 rebounds and six assists per game. Rachel Mitchell averaged 5.2 rebounds and 3.2 shot blocks per game.
• Oak Ridge: The Lady War Eagles have been flying under the radar most of the 2010-11 season. They've long since surpassed last season's victory total and equaled their district victories from a year ago in their district opener. Things are looking up for Oak Ridge this season and a playoff berth is well within reach. ... The Lady War Eagles turned back district newcomer Kingwood 52-44 in the district opener and then gave four-time defending district champion College Park all they wanted in a 56-48 loss. ... The resurgence has been a solid team effort. Brandi Lawson, Tatiana Jackson, Jacquira Manning, Kali Bass, Chantal Franco, Shelby Cage and Dani Scibek are among those playing key roles this season.
Local Advertising by PaperG